Narayanan M. Komerath
Office: Guggenheim 353
- B.Tech, Aeronautical Engineering, 1978, Indian Institute of Technology
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering (Propulsion), 1979, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering (Turbulent Combustion), 1982, Georgia Institute of Technology
Dr. Komerath has 3 US Patents and over 370 publications, and guided 18 PhDs, of whom 3 have won GIT’s Outstanding PhD Thesis (top 1%) Award. He has guided 68 MS and 168 undergraduate research projects, and served as project director for over 100 externally sponsored projects. He has served as Fellow of the NASA Institute of Advanced Concepts, Boeing A.D. Welliver Faculty Fellow, Sam Nunn Senior Security Fellow and Hesburgh Teaching Fellow, and a USAF Summer Faculty Fellow. He has chaired the ASEE’s AE division (2008-09) and the American Helicopter Society’s Aerodynamics Technical Committee (2014-15). He is a member of the AIAA Economics Technical Committee.
Experimental Aerodynamics, Micro Renewable Energy Systems, Advanced Concepts.
Honors and Distinctions
- Fellow of the NASA Institute of Advanced Concepts
- Boeing A.D. Welliver Summer Faculty Fellowship in 2004
- Senior Sam Nunn Security Fellow in the School of International Affairs, 2004-06
- Most Valuable Professor in Aerospace Engineering, 1991
- Leadership Award for Development of Graduate Research Assistants 1993
- Sigma Xi 1993-94 Faculty Best Paper Award
- Georgia Tech Award for Outstanding Ph.D.Thesis Advisor for the period 1992-97
- Associate Fellow of the AIAA
- Gregory, J.W., Disotell, K.J., Peng, D., Juliano, T., Crafton, J., Inverse Methods for Deblurring PSP Images of Rotating Surfaces. AIAA Journal, Vol. 52, No. 9, p. 2045-2061, 2014.
- Raghav, V., Komerath, N., Velocity measurements on a retreating blade in dynamic stall. Experiments in Fluids, 55.2 (2014): 1-10.
- Liberi, B., Pirau, S., Raghav, V.S, Komerath, N.M., Determination of Slung Load Divergence Speed. IMECE2014-38260, International Mechanical Engineering Congress& Exposition, November 16-20, 2014, Montreal, Canada.
- Raghav, V., Komerath, N., Instability of the radial flow over a rotating disk in a separated edgewise stream. Physics of Fluids, 25.11 (2013): 111701.
- Raghav, V., Mayo, M., Lozano, R., Komerath, N., Evidence of Vortex-Induced Lift on a Yawed Wing in Reverse Flow. Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering (2013): 0954410013511597.
- Dessanti, B., Komerath, N.M., Shah, S. Design of a Gigawatt Space Solar Power Satellite Using Optical Concentrator System. Proc. IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, March 2013.