Dewey H. Hodges
Office: SST/Weber 200-C
B.S., Aerospace Engineering, 1969, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
M.S., Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, 1970, Stanford University
Ph.D., Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, 1973, Stanford University
Dr. Hodges became Professor of Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Tech in 1986. From 1970–1986 he was a research scientist at the U.S. Army Aeroflightdynamics Directorate, located at Ames Research Center. During those years he also served as a Lecturer at Stanford University and in 1984 was a guest research scientist at the DLR in Braunschweig, Germany. Dr. Hodges has published four books and over 350 technical papers in journals and conference proceedings in the fields of rotorcraft dynamics, structural dynamics, aeroelasticity, structural mechanics and stability, computational mechanics, and optimal control. He has advised 30 PhD graduates and 36 MS graduates in his 28 years at Georgia Tech. He is an elected Fellow of the American Insti-tute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the Amer-ican Helicopter Society and the American Academy of Mechanics. He serves on the editorial boards for the Journal of Fluids and Structures, the Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, and Nonlinear Dynamics. He has served on the AHS Dynamics Committee and the AIAA Structural Dynamics Technical Committee, as chairman of the Stability Committee of the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Division, as an Associate Editor of AIAA Journal, of Vertica, and of the ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, and on the Editorial Boards of the International Journal of Solids and Structures and the International Journal for Engineering Analysis and Design.
Theoretical, applied, and computational mechanics with focus on:
- Aeroelasticity and rotorcraft dynamics
- Structural mechanics and structural dynamics (including FEM)
- Classical and multibody dynamics
- Computational optimal control
Honors and Distinctions
- Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Fellow of the American Helicopter Society
- Fellow of the American Academy of Mechanics
- NASA Technology Utilization Awards (2 times)
- U.S. Army Commendations (6 times)
- U.S. Army Research and Development Achievement Award, and Director’s Award for Technological Achievement
- Sigma Xi Thesis Advisor Awards (3 times)
- Sigma Xi Sustained Research Award, 2011
- AIAA Ashley Award for Aeroelasticity, 2013
- AHS Alexander A. Nikolsky Honorary Lectureship, 2014
- Hodges, Dewey H.; and Pierce, G. Alvin: An Introduction to Structural Dynamics and Aeroelasticity, Cambridge University Press, New York, 2011, Second Edition.
- Simitses, George J.; and Hodges, Dewey H.: Fundamentals of Structural Stability, Elsevier, New York, 2006.
- Hodges, Dewey H.: Nonlinear Composite Beam Theory, AIAA, Washington, D.C., 2006.
- Roithmayr, Carlos M., and Hodges, Dewey H.: Dynamics: Theory and Applications of Kane’s Method, Cambridge University Press, New York, 2014 (in press).
- Ho, Jimmy C.; Yu, Wenbin, and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Proper Inclusion of Interiorly Applied Loads with Beam Theory,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4006940, vol. 80, no. 1, 2013, article 011007.
- Roithmayr, C. M., and Hodges, D. H., “Identifying Sets of Constraint Forces by Inspection,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4007577, Vol. 80, No. 2, 2013, article 021019.
- Lee, Chang-Yong; Yu, Wenbin; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Refined Modeling of Composite Plates with In-Plane Heterogeneity,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/zamm.201200209, 2013.
- Sotoudeh, Zahra; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Structural Dynamics Analysis of Rotating Blades Using Fully Intrinsic Equations – Part I: Formulation and Verification of Single-Load-Path Configuration,” Journal of the American Helicopter Society, vol. 58, no. 3, 2013, pp. 032003-1 – 032003-9.
- Sotoudeh, Zahra; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Structural Dynamics Analysis of Rotating Blades Using Fully Intrinsic Equations – Part II: Dual-Load-Path Configurations,” Journal of the American Helicopter Society, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 032004-1 – 032004-9, 2013.
- Mardanpour, Pezhman; Hodges, Dewey H.; Neuhart, Ryan; and Graybeal, Nathan: “Effect of Engine Placement on Aeroelastic Trim and Stability of Flying-Wing Aircraft,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 50, no. 6, 2013, pp. 1716 – 1725.
- Lee, Chang-Yong; Yu, Wenbin; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Refined Modeling of Composite Plates with In-Plane Heterogeneity,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/zamm.201200209, vol. 94, no. 1-2, 2014, pp. 85 – 100.
- Mardanpour, Pezhman; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Passive Morphing of Flying Wing Aircraft: Z-Shaped Configuration,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2013.09.020, vol. 44, 2014, pp. 17 – 30.
- Mardanpour, Pezhman; Richards, Phillip W.; Nabipour, Omid; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Effect of Multiple Engine Placement on Aeroelastic Trim and Stability of Flying Wing Aircraft,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2013.09.018, vol. 44, 2014, pp. 67 – 86.
- Kovvali, Ravi; Hodges, Dewey H.; Yu, Wenbin; Kim, Jun-Sik; Wang, Kon-Well: “Discussion: ‘Vibration Analysis of Composite Beams With End Effects via the Formal Asymptotic Method’ (Kim, J.-S., Wang, Kon-Well, 2010, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, vol. 132, no. 4, 041003),” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, vol. 136, no. 2, April 2014, http://dx.doi:10.1115/1.4026139.