Dutton/Ducoffe Professor of Aerospace Software Engineering
Office: ESM 304
B.S., Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, 1989.
M.S., Computer Science, Ecole Polytechnique & Ecole Normale Supérieure, 1990.
Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, Stanford University, 1994.
Eric Feron has been the Dutton-Ducoffe Professor of Aerospace Software Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology since 2005. Prior to that, he was on the faculty of MIT's department of Aeronautics and Astronautics from 1993 until 2005. He holds his BS, MS and PhD degrees from Ecole Polytechnique, France, Ecole Normale Suprieure, France and Stanford University, United States. Eric Feron's interests are to use fundamental concepts of control systems, optimization and computer science to address important problems in aerospace engineering, including: Aerobatic control of unmanned aerial vehicles, multi-agent operations, including air traffic control systems and aerospace software system certification. Eric Feron has published two books and several research papers; his former research students are distributed throughout academia, government and industry. He is an advisor to the Academy of Technologies, France. When he is not in his office, Eric Feron may be found sailing along the coast of Florida.
Flight mechanics and control involving real-time, embedded systems, including:
- Air traffic control with an emphasis on air traffic safety and airports
- Unmanned aerial vehicles with an emphasis on high agility flight
- Embedded software analysis and design by means of rigorous, quantitative methods
Honors and Distinctions
- Charles Stark Draper Chair, 1993
- NSF Research Initiation Award, 1994
- NASA Certificate of Recognition, 1998
- ONR Young Investigator Award, 1999
- Advisor, French Academy of Technologies 2001
- Feron, E., “From Control Systems to Control Software: Integrating Lyapunov-theoretic proofs within code”, IEEE Control Systems Magazine, pp 50-71, december 2010.
- Le Ny, J., Feron, E. and Dahleh, M., “Scheduling Kalman Filters in Continuous Time”, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, June 2011.
- Roozbehani, M., Megretski, A. and Feron, E., “Optimization of Lyapunov Invariants in Verification of Software Systems”, IEEE Trans. Aut. Control, March 2013.
- P. Burgain, S.H. Kim and E. Feron: "Valuating Surface Surveillance Technology for Collaborative Multi-Spot Control of Airport Departure Operations", IEEE Trans. on Intell. Transportation Systems, 2013.
- S. Huang , E. Feron , G. Reed , Z.-H. Mao, " Compact Configuration of Aircraft Flows at Intersections", IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2013.