Georgia Institute of Technology

Transfer & AP Credit

Updated:  October 2000

AP Credit

Normally, AP credit is arranged through the Admissions Office when you apply to and are accepted by Georgia Tech. Any AP credit that is awarded will be so noted on your transcript. The AP credit will be for specific courses in the Georgia Tech Catalog and these will be noted as well. You may then use this AP credit as if you had actually taken the indicated equivalent course at Georgia Tech. Typically, this AP credit will allow you to take advanced courses for which your AP credit will cover the prerequisite requirements.

One of the most common areas for AP credit is Math and this table inlcudes information for how the School of Mathematics awards AP credit for several of the basic and introductory math courses.

Any questions about your AP credit should be directed to the Registrar's Office in the Tower.

Transfer Credit

When you apply for admission to Georgia Tech, any transfer credit is normally evaluated by the Registrar's Office as a part of the admission process. You will then be notified of exactly which courses have been accepted for transfer credit along with the corresponding equivalent Georgia Tech courses. This information will appear on your transcript.

If you want to apply for transfer credit for courses taken after you are enrolled at Georgia Tech, you should contact the Registrar's Office directly. This normally arises when you take courses at another university during the summer term. To insure the greatest likelihood that any such courses can be used for transfer credit, you should check beforehand with either the Registrar's Office or the department or school which normally teaches the equivalent course. The Registrar's Web Page also contains listings of courses at other universities that have already been approved for transfer credit along with the equivalent Georgia Tech course. You should consult this page first and if you find the same courses you intend to take listed there, they are already "pre-approved."

You may need to provide the Registrar's Office with detailed information about a course if it is not pre-approved. This could include, (a) a catalog description of the course, (b) a detailed course outline typically provided by the instructor at the start of the term or available on a course web page, and (c) a copy of the textbook.Copies of course notes and project assignments can alse be helpful in resolving any questions. The Registrar's Office may want you to get the approval of the school or department at Georgia Tech that offers the equivalent course. Finally, please remember that a grade of C or better is required. Other very important details are included in the General Catalog.

Quarter Course and "Bridge Course" Equivalencies:

Strictly speaking, these are not transfer credit issues. However, each school and department at Georgia Tech maintains lists of quarter-semester course equivalents that you can use for planning and completing programs of study that include both semester and quarter courses. Some of the most common Math course equivalencies are shown in this table.

Study Abroad:

Study abroad is generally considered in the same way that transfer credit is handled. However, it is even more important for you to consult with the school or department that normally teaches the equivalent course here at Georgia Tech. In this way, they can often "pre-approve" any courses you are planning on taking at a foreign university. This is particularly important if you are trying to earn transfer credit for any of the "core" disciplinary courses in AE (e.g., structures, fluids, controls, design) since these courses are generally tightly interconnected with other courses.

For example, assume you are planning on studying at ABC University in England and intend to take an introductory structural mechanics course that you want to use as transfer credit to replace AE3120. This presents difficulties because AE3120 is tightly integrated between AE2120 and AE3121. In order to obtain transfer credit, you will have to get the approval of one of the AE faculty members who routinely teaches AE3120 (your AE Advisor can help you identify such an individual). You will probably need a copy of the course catalog description, the course textbook, and a detailed course outline. Quite often this kind of information can be gotten from web pages (the book from the Library). You can then use this pre-approval in your request to the Registrar's Office for transfer credit (which you will submit following your completion of the course).If you are not able to gather this information prior to taking the course, you may or may not be able to get pre-approval for transfer credit.

Keep in mind, however, that even though a technical course will not be accepted as transfer credit for a specific course, you may be able to receive transfer credit for an equivalent number of hours of "free elective" or "technical elective" credit, and this may helpcomplete your program of study. Also, it is usually much easier to work out transfer credit for nontechnical courses or for technical courses that are used as electives.

hpep lab

image description

Prof. Mitchell Walker in the High-Power Electric Propulsion Lab